William Suff also known as the Riverside Prostitute Killer and the Lake Elsinore Killer, is a Californian serial killer. In 1974, Suff and his then-wife were convicted of beating their two-month-old daughter to death in Texas. Although he was sentenced to 70 years in prison, he was released on parole in 1984. He subsequently raped, stabbed, strangled and sometimes mutilated 12 or more prostitutes in Riverside County, beginning in 1986. On January 9, 1993, he was arrested after a routine traffic stop.
Described as a mild mannered loner, Suff worked as a county stock clerk who delivered supplies to the task force investigating his killing spree. He liked to impersonate police officers and even cooked chili at office picnics. In fact, it is alleged that he used the breast of one of his victims in his chili, which won the “Riverside County Employee Chili Cookoff.” He was also working on a book about wild, lethal dogs. He enjoyed vanity plates and was an avid volunteer in the county’s car-pooling program.
On July 19, 1995, Suff was found guilty of killing 12 prostitutes, although police think that he might be responsible for up to 22 deaths. On November 1995, he was condemned to death.
“With every piece of flesh I ate I remembered him. It was like taking communion.”
In 2002, a forty-one-year-old German computer technician named Armin Meiwes, posted an Internet ad that read: “Wanted: Well-Built Man for Slaughter and Consumption.” Though it is impossible to conceive of a less enticing come-on, it caught the fancy of a forty-two-year-old microchip designer named Bernd-Jurgen Brandes, who showed up at Meiwes’s door, eager to be butchered. With the victim’s enthusiastic cooperation, Meiwes cut off Brandes’s penis, cooked it, then served it up for the two of them to eat together. He then stabbed Brandes through the neck, chopped up the corpse, froze certain parts for future consumption, and buried the rest. He also recorded the whole thing which was shown at trial.
The Mauerovas are a family of cult members and cannibals from the Czech Republic. Over an 8 month period, relatives and fellow cult members participated in despicable acts against two brothers. The actual details of what a mother allowed to be done to her young children are extremely disturbing. By a remarkable chain of events, the truth about the Maurova family was discovered on May 10, 2007 when horrific images on a baby monitor (which they had installed in their house to view the crimes) where picked up by a neighbor who had the exact same monitor. A total of six people were eventually convicted.
A Working Manual For Serial Killers - I.M Ghastly
- Select victims who put themselves at risk because of their lifestyle. Killer Jeffrey Dahmer preyed primarily on young homosexuals he picked up at gay bars.
- Use a prop to attract your victim, then quickly isolate and overpower him or her. ‘Ted the Troller’ Bundy, who spread a reign of terror from Washington State to Florida, often placed a cast on an arm or leg and then asked a pretty girl to help him load something into his Volkswagen bug. The moment she left her friends, she was as good as dead.
- Keep on the move. John Wayne Gacy Jr, moved constantly between police jurisdiction in the Chicago area while torturing and killing at least 33 young men and boys.
- Prey on people who trust you the most. ‘Boston Strangler’ Albert DeSalvo wore a uniform and posed as a maintenance man to talk his way into the apartments of trusting young women.
Below is a chronological list of the known victims of Ted Bundy. Bundy never made a comprehensive confession of his crimes and his true total is not known, but before his execution, he confessed thirty murders to Bill Hagmaier. Ten of his victims remain unidentified. All the women listed were killed, unless otherwise noted.
* Jan. 4: Joni Lenz (survived). Bludgeoned in her bed as she slept.
* Jan. 31: Lynda Ann Healy (19). Beaten & bludgeoned unconscious while asleep and abducted from the house she shared with other University of Washington co-eds.
* Mar. 12: Donna Gail Manson (19). Abducted while walking to a jazz concert on The Evergreen State College campus, Olympia, Washington. Body never recovered.
* Apr. 17: Susan Rancourt (18). Disappeared as she walked across Ellensburg’s Central Washington State College campus at night.
* May 6: Roberta Kathleen Parks (22). Vanished from Oregon State University in Corvallis while walking to another dorm hall to have coffee with friends.
* Jun. 1: Brenda Ball (22). Disappeared from the Flame Tavern in Burien, Washington.
* Jun. 11: Georgeann Hawkins (18). Disappeared from behind her sorority house, Kappa Alpha Theta, at the University of Washington in Seattle.
* Jul. 14: Janice Ott (23) and Denise Naslund (19), both from Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah, Washington.
* Aug. 2: Carol Valenzuela (20). Last seen at a welfare office in Vancouver, Washington.
* Oct. 2: Nancy Wilcox (16). Disappeared in Holladay, Utah.
* Oct. 18: Melissa Smith (17). Vanished from Midvale, Utah on her way to a friend’s house.
* Oct. 31: Laura Aime (17). Disappeared from a Halloween party at Lehi, Utah.
* Nov. 8: Carol DaRonch (18, survived). Escaped from Bundy by jumping out from his car in Murray, Utah.
* Nov. 8: Debra (Debby) Kent (17). Vanished from the parking lot of a school in Bountiful, Utah, hours after DaRonch escaped from Bundy. Body never recovered.
* Jan. 12: Caryn Campbell (23). While on a ski trip with her fiancée in Aspen, Colorado, Campbell vanished between the hotel lounge and her room.
* Mar. 15: Julie Cunningham (26). Disappeared while on her way to a nearby tavern in Vail, Colorado. Body never recovered.
* Apr. 6: Denise Oliverson (25). Abducted while visiting her parents in Grand Junction, Colorado.
* May 6: Lynette Culver (13). Snatched from a school playground at Alameda Junior High School, Pocatello, Idaho.
* June 28: Susan Curtis (15). Abducted from the campus of Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
* Jan. 15: Lisa Levy (20), Margaret Bowman (21), Karen Chandler (survived), Kathy Kleiner (survived). The Chi Omega killings, Tallahassee, Florida.
* Jan. 15: Cheryl Thomas (survived). Bludgeoned in her bed, eight blocks away from the Chi Omega house.
* Feb. 9: Kimberly Leach (12), kidnapped from her junior high school and raped, Lake City, Florida.
Thug Behram, of the Indian Thuggee cult, has frequently been said to be the world’s most prolific serial killer. According to numerous sources, he was believed to have murdered 931 victims by strangulation by means of a ceremonial cloth (or rumal, which in Hindi means handkerchief), used by his cult between 1790-1830.
Attribution of so many killings to this one murderer is, however, the product of confusion and mistaken reporting of unchecked statements. The original source for Behram’s ‘confession’ is a manuscript on Thuggee written by James Paton, an East India Company officer working for the Thuggee and Dacoity Office in the 1830s. Paton’s MS - now in the British Library - states that Behram had merely estimated that he had “been present” at 931 cases of murder, the killings themselves being committed by a gang of 25 to 50 men, at least half a dozen of whom, other than Behram himself, would have played an active role as stranglers.
In addition, Behram’s statement is unverified and the Thug never stood trial for any of the murders he confessed to, having turned King’s Evidence and agreed to inform on his companions.
It should further be emphasised that this Thug gave a second, much less publicised, account, concerning the actual number of murders he committed. At another point in Paton’s papers, Behram is quoted as saying: “I may have strangled with my own hands about 125 men, and I may have seen strangled 150 more.”
Since Behram’s alleged murders were committed in the course of a 40-year career, and since it was in Thug informers’ interests to make themselves appear as important as possible to their British captors, it would be unwise to attribute any specific total of killings to this one murderer.
Ivan Milat is a serial killer who murdered several tourists and hitchhikers in the 1990s in New South Wales, Australia. The killings were dubbed the backpacker murders by the press at the time. Milat is currently serving a life sentence for the murder of seven hitchhikers, several of whom were international backpackers.
Ivan Milat had been acquitted on rape charges in 1971. His lawyer at this time, John Marsden, claimed in July 2005 that Milat was helped by a woman in his murder spree.
In September 1992 the bodies of British tourists Joanne Walters and Caroline Clarke were found buried under twigs and ferns in an area known as “Executioners drop”. In October 1993, two more bodies were discovered along the same stretch of the remote Belanglo State Forest. The bodies were identified as those of 19-year-old James Gibson and Deborah Everist, also 19. Both had gone missing in 1989. It then became apparent that a serial killer had been responsible for all these murders.
On 1 November the same year, a fifth body was found, identified through dental records as Simone Schmidl, a 20-year-old German national who had vanished in January 1991.
More than 300 police officers conducted a search of the area on November 4, and found two more skeletons, identified as the remains of 21-year-old Gabor Kurt Neugebauer and his 20-year-old girlfriend, Anja Susanne Habschied, German tourists who had vanished two years previously. Habschied had been decapitated. Police revealed that all victims had been killed by multiple stab wounds.
Forensic examinations of evidence gathered at the scene revealed cartridges from a .22 Ruger rifle near Clarke’s body. These were tested against cartridges that had been taken from a farmhouse outside Sydney. A possible eighth victim was provisionally added to the list in November. An examination of unsolved murders turned up the name of Diane Pennacchio, a 29-year-old mother whose body had been found in bushland in 1991. She had been stabbed to death and the body had been placed face down with hands placed behind her back near a fallen tree, as had those of the previous victims. A triangular canopy of sticks had been built over the bodies and covered with ferns.
It was not until the end of February 1994 that there was a breakthrough in the investigation. A 20-year-old woman stated to police that while backpacking in January 1990 in New South Wales she was offered a lift, which she had accepted. While in the vehicle the driver had behaved strangely, and she got out of the vehicle and ran into the Belangalo State Forest. As she ran, the driver fired shots at her, but missed. A second witness, British tourist Paul Onions, told police that in 1990 he accepted a lift from a driver in the same area, who then produced a gun from the glove compartment of the vehicle. As he ran, the driver fired shots at him. Onions was able to identify the driver from police photographs and identify the vehicle.
The murders may have inspired parts of the 2005 Australian horror film Wolf Creek.
In May 1994 police carried out dawn raids on seven properties, taking three men into custody. One of these men was 49-year-old Ivan Milat, who was charged with armed robbery and discharging a firearm; he was later to be charged with the murders. Another was Milat’s brother Walter. During the raids police found a .22 calibre rifle that matched the type used in the backpacker murders, along with personal items from several of the victims.
Ivan Milat appeared in court for the initial robbery and weapon charges on May 23. He did not enter a plea. On May 30, following continued police investigations, Milat was also charged with the murders of seven backpackers. At the beginning of February 1995 Milat was remanded in custody until June that same year. In March 1996 the trial finally opened and, in July, he received seven life sentences, one for each of his victims.
Daniel and Manuela Ruda
A couple who claimed to be vampires and killed a man by stabbing him more than 60 times in a satanic ritual were convicted of murder yesterday. Daniel Ruda, 26, a former car-parts salesman, and his wife, Manuela, 23, were sentenced to 15 years and 13 years respectively in a secure psychiatric hospital, but the judge in the western German town of Bochum said the possibility that they could kill again meant they might never be released.
The pair had confessed to killing the man in their apartment surrounded by human skulls, cemetery lights, scalpels and incense - because the Devil ordered them to do so.
It was a particularly gruesome killing. The victim, Frank Hackerts 33, who was apparently chosen by the Rudas as their victim because of his love of the Beatles, was hit over the head with a hammer, stabbed 66 times and had a pentagram carved into his chest. The Rudas say they then drank his blood and slept together in a coffin they kept at their flat.
Manuela Ruda told the court: “We were not alone - there was a presence there, a powerful force.” She said her husband had “terrible, glowing eyes” as he stood up before delivering the first hammer blow.
Manuela claimed she was first drawn to satanism during a visit to Britain. She told the court she drifted into the “gothic” scene after the Devil contacted her when she was 14. At 16, bored by her life in the small German town of Witten, she travelled to the Scottish Highlands where she worked in a hotel for a few months and enjoyed the emptiness, the cemeteries and gloomy atmosphere of the low clouds, she said. She spent time living in a cave on the Isle of Skye with Tom Leppard, a heavily tattooed 62- year-old man .
In London she worked in a gothic club in Islington where she claims to have joined a group who attended “bite parties” and worshipped the Devil. “We drank blood from living people,” she told police. “We slept on graves. One time we dug a grave and I slept in it, just to see what it would feel like.”
Manuela met Daniel Ruda after she returned to Germany and answered a lonely hearts advertisement in a heavy metal magazine. It read: “Black- haired vampire seeks princess of darkness who despises everything and everybody and has bidden farewell to life.”
Throughout the trial the couple showed no remorse for the killing, maintaining that they had done Frank Hackerts a favour because he is now “beside Satan, the best place that he could be”.
In the courtroom in Bochum the Rudas put on a daily show of defiantly provocative behaviour, including rude gestures, rolling their eyes manically and sticking their tongues out.
They claimed that because they were following the orders of the Devil, they could not be held responsible for murder. “If I kill a person with my car and half his bloody head is left on my bumpers, it is not the car that goes to jail,” Daniel Ruda told the court, “it is the driver who is evil. I have nothing to repent, because I did nothing.”
Psychiatric experts told the court that the couple were suffering from “severe narcissistic personality disturbances”. As a result, the prosecution rejected calls for life sentences, arguing that the couple were mentally ill and could not be held wholly responsible for their actions. They are “not the monsters” depicted in the media, the prosecution said.
Passing sentence, Judge Arnjo Kerstingtombroke said: “This case was not about satanism but about a crime committed by two people with severe disorders. Nothing mystical or cult-like happened here; just simple, base murder.”
He said the Rudas were not insane and had been fit enough to be tried, but that their pschiatric disorders were sufficient to stop him from handing down life sentences - the standard punishment for premeditated killing. The judge also said so much fan mail had been sent to the Rudas during the case that he was worried about the “limitless stupidity” of many members of the public.
Both defendants sat quietly as the sentence was read out, Daniel staring at his victim’s mother, Manuela chewing gum. The victim’s father, Hermann Hackerts, was also in court, as he had been throughout the trial. He said: “At the beginning I did not want to go to the trial but now I’m glad that we sat eye to eye. Now I understand that they are bad people, but people not devils, and absolutely unsound of mind.”
On Channel 4 News, Daniel Ruda’s lawyer, Hans Reinhardt, said he believed the couple’s claim of demonic possession was a cover. “I think he [Daniel] pretends to be an instrument of Satan because he is the sort of person who says, `I am the best, I am the greatest’,” Mr Reinhardt said.
Daniel’s motive may have been celebrity, his lawyer said. “He says, `I want to get on stage, I want that everybody knows me … I want to be as famous as Charles Manson and so I have to kill someone’,” Mr Reinhardt said.
The Timeline and Victims of Richard Ramirez
- April 10, 1984: 9-year-old Mei Leung is found hanging over a pipe in the basement of her apartment building at 765 O’Farrell St.
- June 1984: Jennie Vincow’s throat is slashed in her Los Angeles apartment.
- Nov. 13, 1984: Famed San Francisco chef Masataka Kobayashi is found dead in his Nob Hill apartment at 1111 Pine St.
- Feb. 20, 1985: Mary and Christina Caldwell, ages 70 and 58, respectively, are stabbed dozens of times in their Telegraph Hill apartment.
- March 17, 1985: Dale Okazaki and Tsai-Lian Yu are shot.
- March 28, 1985: Vincent and Maxine Zazzara are shot.
- May 14, 1985: William and Lillian Doi are attacked while sleeping. Lillian survives.
- May 29, 1985: Mabel Bell, 84, is violently beaten.
- June 2, 1985: Edward Wildgans, 29, is shot through the right temple by a late-night intruder. His girlfriend fights off the attacker.
- July 2, 1985: Mary Louise Canno is found beaten and with her throat slit.
- July 7, 1985: Joyce Nelson is beaten with a blunt object.
- July 20, 1985: Lela and Max Kneiding are shot. Chainarong Khovananth is shot minutes later.
- Aug. 8, 1985: Elyas Abowath is shot in the head while sleeping.
- Aug. 17, 1985: Peter and Barbara Pan are attacked in their Lake Merced home. Peter Pan is killed and his wife is shot but survives.
- Aug. 30, 1985: Police release a photo of Ramirez to the media. Within 12 hours, he is captured by citizens.
Death is usually caused by one of three ways:
- Coma (failure of brain)
- Syncope (failure of heart)
- Asphyxia (failure of lungs)
Usually caused on one of four ways:
- Depressed fracture of the skull, compressing the brain. In homicide, this is usually caused by a direct head injury by bludgeoning by a blunt implement, or in car accidents
- Some poisons
- Some narcotic and hypnotic drugs
- Medical conditions such as cerebral haemorrhage and brain tumour. Also some diseases poison the brain as a by-product
- Natural heart failure caused by several degenerative diseases. Can be exacerbated by shock
- Some poisons
- Direct injury to heart
Anoxia means “lack of oxygen”. Is it the main cause of death in homicide. There are four main types.
- Anoxic Anoxia (Asphyxia) This also also called “manual anoxia”. It is caused by:
- Breathing air that doesn’t have enough oxygen
- Obstruction of oxygen supply by air passages being blocked or swollen
- Pressure on chest or abdomen preventing breathing
- Paralysis of repiratory system by electric shock or some poisons.
- Anaemic Anoxia
- Insuffient supply of oxygen to the body due to blood loss or obstruction of the arteries. This is what happens when you bleed to death
- Obstruction of the supply of oxygen in the blood, as in carbon monoxide poisoning
- Histotoxic Anoxia Some poisons, eg cyanide, paralyze the body tissues preventing them from using oxygen
- Stagnant Anoxia Where the blood circulation is stopped, such as with a shock, heart failure or an embolism